TL;DR: Reference client implementation Bitcoin ABC hosted a three and a half-hour YouTube livestream ahead of the scheduled Bitcoin Cash (BCH) May 15, 2020 upgrade. The BCH community was out in force in the comments section, asking questions, and was joined by influential mining pool BTC.TOP CEO Jiang Zhuoer and exchange CoinEx CEO Haipo Yang.
BTC TOP & CoinEx CEOs Join BCH Community During AMA Livestream
Australia-based translator Cindy Feng facilitated translation between Mandarin Chinese BCH enthusiasts and their English-speaking counterparts. This became particularly handy as influential mining pool operator Jiang Zhuoer of BTC.TOP and CoinEx exchange and ViaBTC pool CEO Haipo Yang joined the stream.
Prior to Zhuoer and Yang adding to the discussion, panelists included host George Donnelly, business development manager at Bitcoin ABC, lead dev Amaury Séchet, dev Antony Zegers, and former Bitcoin.com CEO Stefan Rust among others. Rust was keen to talk about his passion for SLP tokens and their promise on the Bitcoin Cash network. And though other technical details were discussed during the first third of the stream, the conversation inevitably circled back to infrastructure funding — a theme Bitcoin ABC has emphasized for quite some time.
At the 1 hour and 5-minute mark, Jiang Zhuoer appeared with Feng, and was immediately asked about his take on protocol funding. Zhuoer in recent months has come into greater prominence within the BCH community due to his authorship of the controversial Infrastructure Funding Plan (IFP) for Bitcoin Cash. Out of the gate, Zhuoer warned about the fate of BCH, urging the project’s protocol funding as being deeply connected to its future much less its goals.
Nobel Prize Satoshi Award
Developers, Zhuoer explained, need not only funding but emotional support. He implied something akin to a Nobel Prize-like arrangement, rewarding developers and projects related to BCH by way of businesses supporting their work. A Nobel Prize would have something like a foundation behind it, allowing various interested donors to appreciate devs monetarily and in terms of prestige — a market-based incentive structure designed to limit drama and undue influence.
Zhuoer asked for community input and discussion, implying the Nobel Prize “Satoshi Award” was still in its formative stages. At the 1 hour and 25-minute mark, Haipo Yang weighed-in. He began by thanking the ABC team for its work throughout Bitcoin Cash’s history. Yang regretted the current state of ABC’s reputation within the BCH community, however, and openly worried about its standing going forward.
Donnelly assured Bitcoin ABC’s status in the community was “fine,” but brought the discussion back to funding. Donnelly connected ABC to the ultimate plight of BCH. Yang answered by emphasizing decentralization as a fundamental Bitcoin Cash concept but acknowledged ABC as a community leader and how, according to Feng’s translation, ABC should retain its leadership role. He implied decentralization in Bitcoin Cash has become too dogmatic. Yang harkened back to when BCH first forked from BTC in 2017, and wondered aloud what might have happened if Bitmain, one of the largest companies in the crypto world (and a backer of Bitcoin Cash goals), would’ve been allowed to establish a foundation to fund infrastructure development years ago. Perhaps, Yang wondered, BCH would be in a much better position now all around.
IFP TIMELINE THUS FAR
- 01222020 Infrastructure Funding Proposal
- 01222020 BCH devs react
- 01232020 Jiang Zhuoer AMA
- 01232020 Amaury Séchet addendum to IFP
- 01242020 Bitcoin.com releases statement in support of IFP
- 01242020 Jonald Fyookball’s position on the IFP
- 01252020 Justin Bons, Tobias Ruck suggest voting on IFP
- 01252020 Antony Zegers support of IFP
- 01262020 Early market reaction to IFP
- 01262020 Anon dev imaginary_username’s reaction to IFP
- 01262020 Peter Rizun’s reaction to IFP
- 01272020 Opposing Miners Group
- 01272020 BUIP143: Refuse the Coinbase Tax
- 01282020 Bitcoin Verde’s reaction to IFP
- 01282020 Bitcoin.com drops support for IFP
- 01282020 BCHD’s reaction to IFP
- 02012020 Jiang Zhuoer heavily amends IFP
- 02032020 Ethereum’s Vitalik Buterin, Zcash’s Zooko Wilcox-O’Hearn react to IFP
- 02072020 More Miners Voice Skepticism at Bitcoin Cash Infrastructure Fund Proposals
- 02102020 Giving Bitcoin Cash a Fighting Chance
- 02102020 imaginary_username Speaks: He’s Working to Build a Developer Funding Alternative
- 02122020 Lockdown: From Mainland China, Bitcoiner Talks Coronavirus and Fallout for Crypto
- 02152020 Flipstarter: BCH Voluntary Commons Funding
- 02152020 Bitcoin ABC Will Implement Bitcoin Cash Infrastructure Fund of 5% During May 15, 2020 Upgrade
- 02162020 Roger Ver on Bitcoin Cash Infrastructure Fund Update: Too Controversial, Not Worth it at This Point
- 02162020 Bitcoin Cash Infrastructure Funding Update: BTC.TOP Founder Proposes 2/3 Hash Voting Threshold
- 02172020 Bitcoin Cash IFP Author, Influential Mining CEO to Chinese Bitcoiners: Decentralization is Key
- 02192020 Two Notable Bitcoin Cash Developers Announce Opposition to the IFP
- 02202020 Bitcoin Cash Developers Fork ABC Reference Implementation Client, Create “BCH Node”
- 02212020 First Bitcoin Cash Developer Meeting After IFP Proposal
- 02272020 Bitcoin Cash Node v0.21.0 Formally Released
- 03012020 Wrapping Our Heads Around the Infrastructure Funding Plan for Bitcoin Cash
- 03032020 Bitcoin Cash Node Team Releases General Roadmap Through November
- 03242020 Brain Drain: BCH Dev Leaves for AVA and Has Choice Words for Community
- 04012020 Bitcoin ABC Launches $3.3 Million Fundraiser
- 04162020 Trustless, Non-custodial Assurance Contract Platform Flipstarter Launches Five Node Campaigns
- 04252020 PODCAST Bitcoin Cash Reference Client Looks to Raise Sustainable Funding
- 04262020 Bitcoin Cash Node is First to be Fully Funded on Flipstarter; $372,000 Pledged Across 5 Campaigns
- 05092020 PODCAST Amaury Séchet, May 2020 Upgrade Part 2: The IFP and Why it Remains in the Code
CONTINUE THE SPICE and check out our piping hot VIDEOS. Our podcast, The CoinSpice Podcast, has amazing guests. Follow CoinSpice on Twitter. Join our Telegram feed to make sure you never miss a post. Drop some BCH at the merch shop — we’ve got some spicy shirts for men and women. Don’t forget to help spread the word about CoinSpice on social media.
DYOR: CoinSpice is your home for just spicy crypto things. We’re not affiliated with any cryptocurrency project or token. Each published piece is intended for information purposes only, not investment advice and not in the hope of impacting speculative markets. There are plenty of trading sites and coin-specific advocacy journals out there, we’re neither. CoinSpice strives for rigorous accuracy in our reporting. Information presented here is contingent usually on a host of factors, and the ecosystem moves fast — prices change, projects change, and at warp speed. Do your own research.
DISCLOSURE: The author holds cryptocurrency as part of his financial portfolio, including BCH.