TL;DR: “Flipstarter node campaigns will be live on Friday, 17 Apr 2020, at 12:00:00 am UTC,” the project announced. Five nodes are participating, all geared toward the Bitcoin Cash network, looking to raise more than $700,000 in the wake of a worldwide economic downturn.
Flipstarter Launches Five Node Campaigns
Bitcoin ABC, BCHD, Bitcoin Cash Node, Bitcoin Verde, and Knuth are five nodes all launching Flipstarter fundraising campaigns on Friday, April 17th, 2020. They’re a continuation of a novel crowdfunding concept framed as trustless, non-custodial assurance contracts designed to bring greater decentralization and transparency to community funding.
The topic gained heavy traction this year after introduction of the Infrastructure Funding Plan for Bitcoin Cash (IFP) debuted in late January. The IFP promised stability of protocol funding through a series of elaborate mechanisms. The community rejected it ultimately, but the issue the IFP spoke to, that of sustained funding of infrastructure, remained.
Flipstarter was in part an answer to the IFP promoted by developers such as imaginary_username, emergent reasons, Dagur, Jonathan Silverblood, Leandro DiMarco, and Sploit, among other volunteers. Flipstarter began its proof of concept run with a successful campaign for EatBCH, a valued Bitcoin Cash community charity working in Venezuela and South Sudan.
Now Flipstarter looks to help raise 3,039 BCH between all five nodes, slightly over $700,000 at current pricing. Reference Bitcoin Cash implementation Bitcoin ABC, for example, is hosting a 1,000 BCH Flipstarter goal as part of their recently announced, broader $3.3 million fundraiser and business plan. Bitcoin Cash Node is looking to raise slightly more than a quarter-million dollars in an overall campaign as well, and they’ve issued a detailed line-item budget laid out in nearly a dozen areas. The other three nodes are no-less ambitious but on smaller scales. The community will be watching closely.
TIMELINE THUS FAR
- 01222020 Infrastructure Funding Proposal
- 01222020 BCH devs react
- 01232020 Jiang Zhuoer AMA
- 01232020 Amaury Séchet addendum to IFP
- 01242020 Bitcoin.com releases statement in support of IFP
- 01242020 Jonald Fyookball’s position on the IFP
- 01252020 Justin Bons, Tobias Ruck suggest voting on IFP
- 01252020 Antony Zegers support of IFP
- 01262020 Early market reaction to IFP
- 01262020 Anon dev imaginary_username’s reaction to IFP
- 01262020 Peter Rizun’s reaction to IFP
- 01272020 Opposing Miners Group
- 01272020 BUIP143: Refuse the Coinbase Tax
- 01282020 Bitcoin Verde’s reaction to IFP
- 01282020 Bitcoin.com drops support for IFP
- 01282020 BCHD’s reaction to IFP
- 02012020 Jiang Zhuoer heavily amends IFP
- 02032020 Ethereum’s Vitalik Buterin, Zcash’s Zooko Wilcox-O’Hearn react to IFP
- 02072020 More Miners Voice Skepticism at Bitcoin Cash Infrastructure Fund Proposals
- 02102020 Giving Bitcoin Cash a Fighting Chance
- 02102020 imaginary_username Speaks: He’s Working to Build a Developer Funding Alternative
- 02122020 Lockdown: From Mainland China, Bitcoiner Talks Coronavirus and Fallout for Crypto
- 02152020 Flipstarter: BCH Voluntary Commons Funding
- 02152020 Bitcoin ABC Will Implement Bitcoin Cash Infrastructure Fund of 5% During May 15, 2020 Upgrade
- 02162020 Roger Ver on Bitcoin Cash Infrastructure Fund Update: Too Controversial, Not Worth it at This Point
- 02162020 Bitcoin Cash Infrastructure Funding Update: BTC.TOP Founder Proposes 2/3 Hash Voting Threshold
- 02172020 Bitcoin Cash IFP Author, Influential Mining CEO to Chinese Bitcoiners: Decentralization is Key
- 02192020 Two Notable Bitcoin Cash Developers Announce Opposition to the IFP
- 02202020 Bitcoin Cash Developers Fork ABC Reference Implementation Client, Create “BCH Node”
- 02212020 First Bitcoin Cash Developer Meeting After IFP Proposal
- 02272020 Bitcoin Cash Node v0.21.0 Formally Released
- 03012020 Wrapping Our Heads Around the Infrastructure Funding Plan for Bitcoin Cash
- 03032020 Bitcoin Cash Node Team Releases General Roadmap Through November
- 03242020 Brain Drain: Bitcoin Cash Dev Leaves for AVA and Has Choice Words for Community
- 04012020 Bitcoin ABC Launches $3.3 Million Fundraiser
CONTINUE THE SPICE and check out our piping hot VIDEOS. Our podcast, The CoinSpice Podcast, has amazing guests. Follow CoinSpice on Twitter. Join our Telegram feed to make sure you never miss a post. Drop some BCH at the merch shop — we’ve got some spicy shirts for men and women. Don’t forget to help spread the word about CoinSpice on social media.
DYOR: CoinSpice is your home for just spicy crypto things. We’re not affiliated with any cryptocurrency project or token. Each published piece is intended for information purposes only, not investment advice and not in the hope of impacting speculative markets. There are plenty of trading sites and coin-specific advocacy journals out there, we’re neither. CoinSpice strives for rigorous accuracy in our reporting. Information presented here is contingent usually on a host of factors, and the ecosystem moves fast — prices change, projects change, and at warp speed. Do your own research.
DISCLOSURE: The author holds cryptocurrency as part of his financial portfolio, including BCH.